NGL Fractionation

NGL fractionation facilities process mixed NGL streams into purity NGL products: ethane, propane, normal butane, isobutane and natural gasoline. The three primary sources of mixed NGLs fractionated in the United States are domestic natural gas processing plants, crude oil refineries and imports of butane and propane mixtures. The mixed NGLs sourced from domestic natural gas processing plants and crude oil refineries to our NGL fractionation facilities are typically transported by NGL pipelines and, to a lesser extent by railcar and truck.

Enterprise owns interests in 15 NGL fractionation facilities located in Texas, Louisiana, and Ohio. These facilities are linked by pipelines to some of the largest consumers of NGLs in the United States and to international markets through the partnership's import/export terminal on the Houston Ship Channel. Generally, the partnership receives a fee on the volume of NGLs fractionated.

Recent Developments

  • Fractionation trains seven and eight - Fractionation train 7 started commercial operations September, 2013 and fractionation train 8 is forecasted to commence operations during the fourth quarter of 2013. Each train has an expected operating capacity of 85 MBPD. In June 2013, Enterprise entered into a joint venture with Western Gas Partners L.P. in which Western acquired a 25 percent minority ownership interest in the joint venture, and Enterprise retained the remaining 75 percent ownership interest.

Asset Descriptions

Facility Location Our Ownership Interest Net Plant (MBPD) (1) Total Plant (MBPD)
Mont Belvieu (seven units) (2) Texas Various  (3) 497 570
Shoup and Armstrong Texas 100% 98 98
Hobbs Texas 100% 75 75
Norco Louisiana 100% 75 75
Promix Louisiana   50.0%  (4) 73 145
BRF Louisiana   32.2%  (5) 19 60
Tebone Louisiana   56.2%  (6) 17 30
Todhunter Ohio 100% 3 3
Total plant fractionation capacities     857 1,056
  1. The approximate net plant capacity does not necessarily correspond to our ownership interest in each facility. It is based on a variety of factors such as the level of volumes an owner processes at the facility and its ownership interest in the facility.
  2. There are seven NGL fractionators located at our Mont Belvieu, Texas facility. Our seventh NGL fractionator commenced commercial operations at this facility in September 2013.
  3. We proportionately consolidate our 75% undivided interest in five of the NGL fractionators located at our Mont Belvieu, Texas facility. The remaining two units are wholly owned.
  4. Our ownership interest in the Promix fractionator is held indirectly through our equity method investment in Promix.
  5. Our ownership interest in the BRF fractionator is held indirectly through our equity method investment in Baton Rouge Fractionators LLC ("BRF").
  6. We proportionately consolidate our undivided interest in the Tebone fractionator

For more information on the assets, please refer to the most recent Form 10k or Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q and other SEC filings.